Nuts & Bolts of Financial Management – Recap
Over 30 nonprofits attended the “Nuts & Bolts of Nonprofit Financial Management” training offered on February 28th in Steamboat Springs. David Fellows and Cheryl Fellows of the Fellows group led the presentation in partnership with the Colorado Nonprofit Association. This introductory session was created for board members and nonprofit leaders to learn how to read the essential financial management documents: audits, interim financials, 990s, and policies. The Yampa Valley Community Foundation provided scholarships for six local organization to attend. Community Foundation staff members Helen Beall and Karen O’Connor also attended the training. After the training, Karen explained, “This training was very helpful to our nonprofit community. It provided a basic overview and a great perspective of what is involved in financial management for nonprofits”.
Nonprofits are encouraged to contact the Yampa Valley Community Foundation if they have any questions about nonprofit financial management.
The following information was provided as additional recourse from the Colorado Nonprofit Association. * You must register as a user to view these links.
- Internal Controls for Smaller Organizations| Sample Document
- Financial Dashboard| Sample Document
- Balance Sheet | Sample Document
- Sample Document Retention & Destruction Policy| Sample Document
- Board Review of Financials| Best Practice
- Financial Reserves| Research
- Internal Controls and Audits | Article
- Audit Committees of Nonprofit Organizations| Article
- Colorado Nonprofit Association Business Member Directory
Filter for “Financial Management” under Area of Expertise to find members who specialize in financial management
- GrantSpace | How Much Money Should My Nonprofit Have in its Operating Reserves
- National Council of Nonprofits | Operating Reserves for Nonprofits
- List of some Colorado CPAs with nonprofit audit experience (attached); compiled by Colorado Society of CPAs